Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Interview: Jamie Moyer, Author of 'Just Tell Me I Can't'

We don't often think of professional athletes improving with age, but Jamie Moyer was a better pitcher in his 40s than he was in his 20s. Moyer became the oldest pitcher to win a Major League Baseball game when, in April 2012, at the age of 49 years, 150 days, he pitched the Colorado Rockies to a 5-3 win over the San Diego Padres. If I can throw a hard pitch - maybe it's just off the plate - but [then] I throw the same pitch or a pitch looking just like it, but it's 8-10 miles an hour slower ... and they swing like it's the hard pitch, now all of the sudden they're thinking it's a fastball and they're swinging way ahead of the ball, and now they become frustrated. You want to have strong eyes, you want to be staring at your target, and you're really showing no emotion, you want show that "I'm in control here." You want to get the ball back; you want to create a good tempo between pitches. In baseball terms, I really was old, but in everyday life, I really wasn't.

Source: http://www.npr.org/2013/10/02/228196553/at-49-jamie-moyers-pitching-career-goes-into-extra-innings?ft=1&f=1055

No comments:

Post a Comment